søndag 29. juni 2014

Lloyd Cole with Jill Sobule - For The Good Times

In 2006 there was released a tribute album called The Pilgrim to legendary singer/songwriter Kris Kristofferson featuring acts like Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Shooter Jennings (son of Waylon), Rodney Crowell and other more or less predictable names, people who are as familiar with Kristofferson's songs as it's possible. One track surprisingly stands out however. British singer/songwriter Lloyd Cole's take on "For The Good Times", on which he's enlisted the help of US indie darling Jill Sobule, is the most intimate, sensitive and intensely beautiful version of this song that I've ever heard. It's been recorded by Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Ray Price, Al Green and countless others, but none of these versions are worth the dust gathered in the studio when Lloyd Cole recorded his quite, quiet, quiet take on this sad and wonderful song.

"Don't look so sad, I know it's over, but life goes on, and this old world will keep on turning. Let's just be glad we had some time to spend together, there's no need to watch the bridges we've been burning. Lay your head upon my pillow, hold your warm and tender body close to mine. Hear the whisper of the raindrops blowing soft against the window, make believe you love me one more time, for the good times. I'll get along, you'll find another, and I'll be here if you should find you'll ever need me. Don't say a word about tomorrow or forever, there'll be time enough for sadness when you leave me. Lay your head upon my pillow, hold your warm and tender body close to mine. Hear the whisper of the raindrops blowing soft against the window, make believe you love me one more time, for the good times."

Listen

 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar